I am sorry that I have not updated in awhile. I am going to try to cover a lot of ground in this blog. So here we go.
I have received a roommate. I would tell you her name if I could spell it. We get along very well which is a big blessing. She is from Accra so she knows a good deal about the city. Some people have had a hard time getting a long with their roommates because of the cultural differences but so far we have not had those problems. I would attribute this to both of us being abroad before.
Ever since I was sick I have been careful about what I am eating. For the most part I have been having rice, chicken, fruit, and an occasional egg sandwich. I have stuck with these foods because they are not spicy. However, I am growing tired of the same foods over and over, so I am going to have to branch out soon. My roommate is determined to help me do this and teach me how to cook.
The ISEP group went on a trip to the Cape Coast 2 weekends ago. We went to Cape Coast Castle and a national park. The castle was originally built for the slave trade by the Dutch then it later changed hands into the English. It was a very sad to see where thousands of humans were treated as animals and sold. The next day at the park was lots of fun because we walked on a rope bridge on the canopy of the rainforest. Unfortunately I did not see any animals.
This Sunday a group of us went to an American bar to watch the Super Bowl. It didn’t start until 11:30pm so I was up until 3:30am. While I am not crazy about the Super Bowl (especially since the Falcons didn’t make it) it was nice to be around other Americans enjoying something from home.
I have recently made a discovery of fast Internet. Now most people would not consider it fast it is a great improvement. I am determined to download some of the messages from a conference I went to. Currently I have been downloading for 30 minutes and have 1 hour and 30 minutes to go. And to think I thought Berry College had slow Internet.
Because a lot of students do not come the first week of classes there was not much lecturing. I am going to update on classes sometime next week once I receive the syllabi and things settle in.
I am going to close out this post by sharing some of the cultural differences I have come across in the past weeks.
• Ghanaians are very hospitable therefore, a greeting could last 10 minutes
• You cannot eat while walking
• White people get a lot of attention
• Ghanaians like to keep their rooms clean
• You cannot use your left hand
Here is a link to my photos for those of you not on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2106284&id=1116150099&l=092bd6f0df
thanks for sharing Hannah. I'd have a difficult time there, being left handed and all. lol Glad you're feeling better!
ReplyDelete