I am now into the 4th week of classes, so I now somewhat have an idea of how classes are run. Lectures are once a week for 2 hours and tutorials are once a week for one hour. However, nobody goes to tutorials so I am looking at 8 hours worth of school a week. As far as grading goes most of my classes rely only on the final exam and a midterm. Outside of these big tests it looks like I will only have 2 group presentations and one paper. Yes, that’s right, ONE PAPER. After this easygoing semester I will be dreading going back to Berry where I have 6 or more papers a semester. Overall I have enjoyed my classes. I have been learning a lot about religion and development in Ghana. Even though the lectures are 2 hours I find myself engaged for the majority of the time.
As I have seen more of Ghana I found myself wishing that I were studying to be a doctor or teacher, rather than a missionary trainer, because these positions are so needed. The literacy rate is only 60% for all of Ghana and most towns outside of Accra do not have any form of medical care. Needless to say I was finding my choice of career a little worthless because it does not meet important physical needs. That was until I met a girl at my hostel.
This girl has the goal of converting everyone she meets into a Christian, which I might add is a good goal to have, however her methods only cause people to avoid her. I was with a group of friends when she approached and made everyone stop what they were doing and listen to her preach the gospel. And boy did she preach. My friends that had valid questions were shot down and denied. For her there was no room for discussion about the fact of God existing. I had heard my friends talk about this girl before, how she preaches and condemns rather than discusses God and Jesus. It was at this moment I realized that what I want to do is important. You see, her method of sharing the gospel may work in Ghana but to American students she seemed condemning and forceful. Ghana culture is very spiritual; it always has been, so most likely she has never met someone who doesn’t believe in a God therefore she does not know how to minister to them. This encounter was the first time I saw a tangible use for what I am studying. Up until this point I just thought training missionaries would be cool and, in theory, useful. While I may not know where I am going after I graduate, I do know without a doubt that I am doing what God wants me to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment